Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Coyote proofing

     Since I've had plenty of issues with coyotes, which I at first blamed on a possum, getting in and last Friday killed 7 of my good dutch rabbits(Rafik, Syd, Dalton, Leonardo, Rebecca, Zoey, and Rachel) I was pissed and upset.  I hated losing Raf, Syd and Rachel the *most*.  Rest in peace my darling babies. 
     Well last night(Tuesday), Jason, next door, actually saw the small pack of 3 coyotes back by the barn.  I've been putting the x-pens up in the doorways to keep my dutch safe, but they got in under the panels and got to my meat pen cages- killed one bunny
     Well at least I knew I had to replace the floor wire, this just speeds up that process.  I'll try to sell the last two does and rip the floor wire out and re-breed Juliet for meat bunnies.   I'll probably rebreed tomorrow. 
     So I took two of my cattle panels, since I won't need them for calves this spring, and cut them to the 10foot length to replace the corral panels so the coyotes can't sneak under them.  Then stuck the end pieces- cut to 4 foot lengths and put them over the gates. 
     So the traps are still out, since we've caught 5 stray cats so far-and popped them all!  We're decreasing the stray cat population!!  Now to get that back area completely cleaned up and use that area to put the x-pens out for the bunnies to romp in!! 

No comments: