Sunday, August 7, 2011

Everything Update!

So as the folks on Facebook heard, I found my loose horses from May, two of the adults came forward again in search of a herd I guess. 
I may have only gotten two of the original 3 adults, but now one of them has a colt on her side. 
Perfect. . . .
 Mommy and son, he's gorgeous!  No white on momma, he's got a left rear sock, big 'ole star and a tiny snip on his lips
 This *might* be daddy, both hind white socks on him, and a tiny star.  They're all in teh 12-13HH range, they move like Hackney ponies, so they could  be hackney's or they could be mustangs, ponies either way I look at it.
The trio together!

This big girl was on the amish side of the fence, but I couldn't resist taking a picture of her.  She came up to the fence so I could rub her head.

After playing with those horses in the back, making sure they aren't injured I came up to play with my New Zealands.

 This is my Diva- Xena.  She's getting so big.
 This is Trixy, Trisha and Aragorn's daughter.  She's already bigger than her mother and is replacing her mother as the breeding doe.
 This is Bree, the youngest of my New Zealand does and she was at the bottom of the pecking order with all 3 New Zealand does. 
 And big boy, Aragorn.  He's still finishing his molt out so he looks scruffy.
Here's the 'little' boy Quincy.  Quincy's the luckier of the two boys, he has Kate, Bree and Xena as his 'women'

After much deliberation and talking to several professionals, vet and friends Phoenix will have to get a new feild companion and Tessa will be moved onto a youth home. 
 Phoenix is finally putting on a few extra pounds.
And Tessy, my gorgeous girl. 
The few things that I did know when I was looking at her was I needed a horse that was stocky  and a shorter back.  I didn't know to watch the pasterns or the length of back.  Any saddles that I get are going to sit too far down her back and pinch down on her kidneys because her back is too short.  Also her pasterns are long and slopy which makes carrying extra weight harder, and could even damage her legs.  Hindsight if I had known all this I would never have gotten her noting all the faults, but sometimes you have to learn life lessons the hard way.  I'd rather know who she's going to so I can keep tabs on her and watch her.  Her manners have blossomed and she's a very fine little mare.  Now it's on to finding a horse, Aunt Lisa and Cathryn had the right idea~ go with a drafty, that I can keep out with Phoenix and then ride. 

No comments: