Sunday, December 11, 2011

New Bunnies and New Calves in the barn!

Dad and I both were out and about today.  He went for some calves that will eventually make it over to join Morty once we get them weaned off the buckets of milk.

I sold my velveteens so in turn got a couple more dutch does.  The dutch are more up my alley anyway.

 This one is Blackberry, she, like Keisha, lost a litter to the cold, but they were ready to sell her anyway, so she came home with me.
 This one is Ebony, she's got one jr leg towards grand champion and they have several of her daughters in their barn so it was time to move her on, so she also came home with me.  Both blacks with other colors behind them so hopefully I can pull the other colors with my colored bucks.

Now onto the calves!  When I got home, I pulled dad's truck out of the pasture with my truck and then I went in to feed the smallest jersey calf, since dad couldn't get him to drink.  I took a few pictures while I was there.  Not bad I paid $250 for all 3. 
 He's the biggest and we'll wean him off the bucket of milk first, he's, if I estimate about Morty's size and by far the oldest, like 11 or 12 weeks. 

 He's my favorite!!!!  The smallest around 5 weeks.  He'll be mine to feed, he's still using the bottle but he's the only one.  I want to think of a name for him, he's a little doll. 
The bigger jersey calf and I think we've decided Bastard Larry is his name.  He's the agressive eater and does like butting for more milk. 
Ended my day tired, covered in calf slobber, a little bit of bunny spray/pee from that stupid new zealand red buck that's going to die shortly because he bred his sister. 
The ponies will be much happier back on their side with a water trough with a heater in it!  No more frozen water bucket!

No comments: