Saturday, January 21, 2012

Well, very odd scenario

So I picked up Lisa's saddle and girth for Heidi yesterday.  Put it on for a fitting . . .

And huston we have a problem. First girth- too short, this girth- too long.  I had one hole on the right side, 2 holes on the left side and needed to take around 6 more inches out.  Gah!  why is girths soo hard? 
But I got on the saddle anyway, fits a lot more comfy on Heidi's back than it does on Lisa's stool.

I couldn't bend to put the other stirrup on my foot, because the girth was loose.
Then we attempted to walk around and she got spooky-very cold northern wind was not helping me shivering and her getting spooky and the loose girth make things VERY nerve wracking-my face shows that one!  I don't know why all of a sudden she's so spooky and wanting to go-go-go, but I'm going to give Jason's buddy a call and see if he can put another 30 days professional training on her and see what we got after that.  Or grab one of the Amish boys to get some work put into her- could work out a trade on that one hopefully(I should have plenty of rabbit meat in short enough order with 5 does total) 



Then we moved onto the water bucket/heater/cage repair.


Step one: since the bucket was mostly empty anyway, rinse it out(it was scrubbed a week ago, just had some mud in it) and put it up on 7 cynder blocks, and refill.  It comes up heigh enough for Heidi to scratch her chest on so Bahloo would have a lot of work to do to put her foot in it now!

Step two: the heater cage.  Bahloo mangled the other one so badly I had to replace this one so that I won't have to worry about melting a hole in the bucket(Geeh, guess what happens when you put a big hoof in a water bucket?)
You can see the new cage on the above picture. 
But she did manage to clip the heater.  Hopefully it still does work


Though the white hair only excludes Phoenix from putting his feet in the water tub, Heidi's not physically atheltic enough to bend like this and I've watched Bahloo do it.  Oh well- I knew she put her feet in water buckets.  With it up, she shouldn't be able to get her hooves up enough to get them in the tub.  Now to wait for another cold spell to check and make sure the heater still works.  While I don't like the idea of that frigid weather, I would like to know if it still works. 

No comments: