Thursday, May 17, 2012

Quick little bits of everything

I realize I've been neglecting this a little bit. 
I've been busy on days off.  More things in planning that I want to do just either not enough funds or not enough time or both! 
The horses have been flipping feilds quite a bit, the last time they were on my side(not counting that they are over here right now) I was able to scrape up the 'wasted' hay from the two rolls and seed the ground that died off due to the roll laying there. 
There wasn't much to stuff into holes . . .

And I put the nasty hay down into several of the larger dips and holes in the feild



Between the rain and the horses beeing on it since it was shoved into the holes it has packed down quite a bit from this.  A few more rounds of this or getting some fill somewhere I should be able to get the holes all filled in- assuming more don't show up in the process. 
But the horses do enjoy being back on my side, they really enjoy the barn:

They all cram in there, I haven't the faintest idea why but they stay in there in a triangle.
All my baby bunnies are open eyed and the youngest-born May 2nd, are starting to hop around their cage.

Belle loves to climb out and get her food, she thinks I'm starving her to death!


Belle is apart of my control group that is eating Purina Show formula, her Raf, Hazel(she was always on Purina Show), Colby and Syd are the 5-some on the Purina Show.  Syd, Raf, Colby and Belle have lost coat condition on Manna Pro-Pro Series.  So if this works better, I'll start slowly switching the other dutch to it, the New Zealands will stay on Manna Pro as they don't necessarily have to have great coats, they are mainly meat, but keep good coats despite it for showing.
On Wednesday I gave Heidi a bath- she was dirty- shame on me for not being able to keep her clean either.  I've just been soo bad about keeping them clean!  I'm a horrible horsie mom, my kids are dirty!  Bahloo's next(again) and then lastly Pheonix will get one, probably early to mid June.  

I'll have to get some fur whitener for Heidi and Bahloo's legs.
I also picked up a Weaver rope halter that is for Bahloo-as it's red- and it's own lead so she now has her own rope halter and a nice red nylon halter.  I always ride with ropes underneath the bridle anyway as a secondary backup in case reigns break(I know the bridle is new, but better to be safe than sorry!)  

Today I took the last of last weeks paycheck to pick up the lumber and wire for the new New Zealand cages.  The hanging cages that I have are coming apart at a more rapid speed than I like and I wanted something that I knew would support them for years to come.  So dad and I got 10- 2x3's and 4- 2x4's  and a couple roles of 1 x1 inch square wire.  Well turns out that I miscalculated how much wire I would need so I have to go back and pick up another roll of the 1x1inch and 2 more rolls of the  1x 1/2  inch floor wire(which is also doubleing as the ceiling since it's perfect width) possibly 3 on that one.    I ran out of J-clips but I knew I wouldn't get done all in 1 day and will be getting up fairly early tomorrow before work, and running up to Southern States for the j-clips- SS has the best value on J-clips.  The rest will be picked up Sunday morning so I can hopefully get everything done and in place.
A few pictures:
Had to clean out the bed from moving hay- it's starting to grow it's own grass hay!

Built two of these as the bottoms- made with the 2x3's:

Eventually it'll be 2- 30 x 36 inch cages which is the size they are currently in.  I'll have 4 of thse cages(2 rows) But the framing is 72 x 30 with the studs 18inches apart.
Bottom wire tacked on and starting the side wire.  The bottom is the 1 x 1/2 inch rectangles, the sides are the 1 x1 inch holes. It took 1 full roll of the 1x1 to cover the three sides, and I got 2 rolls- opps I need one more roll.   
So I started the second roll to make full sides.  I'll get 2 or 3 more of the floor wire rolls to cover the floor of the second one and to make the tops as it's exactly the width we need.  The last roll of 1x1 will be used to make the doors and dividers later as well.  Dad bent the corners to square them as much as possible.
As finished as we got:
I think the New Zealand girls are going to like their new cages!! 

No comments: