Saturday, May 30, 2009

Relay for Life










Yesterday was the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Queensbury. This is my 5th year in a row with Rachel and her mom. It's a 12 hour event(7pm Friday night to 7 am Saturday morning), though I've yet to stay the whole night. Something or another keeps pulling me out and away at night, last night it was because I was freezing and I've already got a cold.
















The opening of the whole fun is the Survivor walk. They start out with bagpipers, I always have loved the bagpipers. I stayed down near the campsite until they had gone by and then I caught up with Debbie and the whole team took the lap with Debbie, Rachel and I took turns pushing Debbie around the track, Debbie preferred me since I didn't run anyone over. Rachel ran me over at least once, lord only knows who else she ran over.

















This is the team. Across the back is Allen, Rachel Gonyea(Team captain), Kimmie Bean, Valerie Rode. them the bottom is Me, Debbie Heflin(Rachel's mom) and James Smith. The shirt color's do have reference. Purple shirts are Survivors of Cancer, white are people that are there showing support to find a cure. Our Team is centered around Debbie and Rachel, they started us all.

Someone helping to light the Luminaries around 9:30, I think. It was after dark, that I do know. I was going to help but forgot that the 'lighter' that I have was in the truck and we had changed our minds and taken Allen's car up instead. And you can also see behind the person, the CR Bard sign, they support the American Cancer Society.
















This is the luminaries up in the bleachers to spell out HOPE, they used to have a second set on the opposite side that spelled CURE, but they haven't had those in a couple years now. The digetal camera doesn't do a terribly good job at night, but at least I got a decent one.
















This is some of the Luminaries that were present for Karen Welcome. Karen Welcome was our Human Resource representative at C.R. Bard and she was very well loved, she knew every one of the 1,000+ employees and she was just the friendliest person. She had a total of 17 luminaries, I didn't get her one, I got the carnations that are in there. The picture below is for my friend Pam Cali, she's still in treatments for breast cancer, so I got her a luminary in honor of her fight, and also the carnations.










Well, it was still really fun, despite being sick and really tired.

2 comments:

Hayseed Happenings said...

Way to go!!! Keep up the good work! I'm proud of you...

Ezzy said...

Sorry I couldn't be there, Looks like you guys had a alot of fun.