Sunday, April 8, 2012

Just a saddle and bridle fitting type of day

Sorta.  After I had to go fix the Roark's fence-thank heavens no one decided to just hop of where they knocked a wood post out- then I went through all my horse crap in the back and sorted to keep what I still needed/wanted and what wasn't being used or needed.  I got the feed area all re-situated.  It was a sort and clean up type of day.  After my break for lunch I decided to go grab Bahloo and see what she still remembers.  Well Short ride to determine she either doesn't listen to me, or she's forgotten quite a bit of her training.  She didn't want to move out even with verbal commands.  Part  of it was probably me not sitting quite right- my stirrups were too long.  But I know my english saddle fits her, and I have a girth for it and her.  I also wanted to make sure the bridle fit her, the holes should have been right going from the purple bridle to the red bridle.  So I took a few little laps around the barn and had her end on a good note.  We'll try again next weekend but keep at it a little longer. 

Yes that is me trying to take a picture with my cell phone . . .
I didn't realize the pouch for my camera was on my belt but the camera was inside on the counter

So yes, it was a Bahloo day.  The saddle fits her quite nicely and other than the hideously long stirrups(which I should have shortened but never did) the saddle was super comfy.  So when Heidi finally decideds to actually develop whithers it'll be a good saddle for us to ride in. 
After our ride, I chatted with Lois, Dawn and Jason while Bahloo helped mow their yard.  Then I put her back out to pasture with the other two(who wanted to come out sooo badly), and proceeded to fill their water tub-before Bahloo sticks her feet in it for being so shallow- and Heidi just stood there with me while it was filling.  I scratched between her forlimbs and she swayed back and forth against my hand, at least I know she's still itchy!  Then I sat on the edge of the tub and we played with her lips and my hands.  I'll have to give her another few days of betadine baths on her chest this week.  She'll get a full bath this coming weekend as she's shed out enough.  I clipped all of their halter paths through their manes today- everyone stood very well- other than Heidi needing to learn to drop her head just a little bit more since I know I won't grow any taller!  Then everyone got a dose of Freedom 45 for tick protection.  Yeah one tube may only last 2 weeks, and it's 6 tubes per box.  So I got a months worth in one box- not exactly cheap either, but better than vet bills!  Oh well.  I had one on my ear last weekend, I had to pick one off Heidi yesterday and had one in my hair today- Funny how ticks don't appreciate being cut in half.  
  Uhg, I keep hearing Tick season is going to be nasty this year- this won't be nice I hate ticks. 

No comments: